Wednesday 29 September 2010

Choosing a City

Each City has it's own "top of the mind" branding, which I need to consider when choosing a City.  A few Cities that stand out to me the most are:

  • New York
  • London
  • Paris
  • Barcelona
  • Rome
  • Prague
  • Tokyo
  • Venice
  • Amsterdam
  • Las Vegas

As much as I love New York City, I feel like this will be a popular City to design a mural for, as it probably has the largest landmarks in the world.  For this reason I have decided to choose Barcelona, as I feel it will be more of a challenge for me.  As well as New York, I have also been to Barcelona, which I find a fascinating City with totally unexpected landmarks and architecture.
I have always been interested in Art Nouveau and when I was 18 years old I decided to write an essay for my A Levels about Antoni Gaudi, so I visited Barcelona to study his work. Gaudi's work is so unconventional, I feel it is a must that they appear and that they are the main focal points in the wall mural.  As well as Gaudi's works I will also need to look into other popular landmarks and associations within Barcelona.  Below are a few examples:

Sagrada Familia


Barcelona Football Ground


Casa Mila 


Las Ramblas


Casa Batllo


The Magic Fountains of Monjuic


Parc Guell






Possible ideas and landmarks I could include on my wall mural:

  • Barcelona Flag
  • Las Ramblas
  • Parc Guell
  • National Museum Of Art Of Catalunya
  • Picasso Museum
  • Miro Museum
  • Casa Mila
  • Casa Batllo
  • Sagrada Familia
  • Tibidabo
  • La Pedrera
  • Port Olympic
  • Boats - Las Golondrinas
  • Barcelona Football Stadium - FC Museum
  • The Magic Fountains Of Monjuic
  • El Born District
  • Barcelona Beach
  • Shopping
  • Aquarium/Zoo
  • Pable Espanyol - Spanish Village
  • Alex Trochut - Barcelona Designer
  • Football Players - Messi, David Villa, Iniesta, Victor Valdes, Carlos Puyol
  • Music/Songs/Festivals - Lyrics (Typography)
  • Seafood/Tapas/Sweets
  • Flamenco Dancing
  • Gaudi's Doors
  • The different quarters of Barcelona:

Ciutat Vella - Barcelona's old town including the medieval Barri Gothic, Las Ramblas, Ravel & El Borne (La Ribera)

Eixample (Gothic Quarter) - Modernist quarter, noted for it's Art Nouveau buildings.

Gracia - Formerly an independent town, it joined the city in the xxth century.  Narrow streets and a cosmopolitan and young atmosphere with not too many tourists.

Barceloneta - Known for its sandy beaches and many restaurants and cafes along the boardwalk.

Barcelona's busiest time of year is August to early September - This could be important to remember when promoting the Yo! Sushi brand.

Below is some existing Artwork/Graffiti that is related to Barcelona and that is currently in Barcelona.












No comments:

Post a Comment